Friday 12 July 2013

Until next time, Thailand!

TG 471

So back to first experiences in my life... flying down a Bangkok freeway at 140km/h, wearing no seatbelt, with the driver tailgating like crazy, all before the sun was up!

Yep. What a way to start my trek home. Kate and I allowed plenty of time to get to the airport, departing the Ibis at 5am. The taxi didn't have a meter so we agreed on 500 baht; probably a rip-off but we had cash that wasn't going to get spent otherwise. We threw our bags in the boot and we were off! Literally. It's like this guy was trying to beat a personal best. Or see how many runs to the airport he could do in one morning. I could feel my kidneys aching as my adrenal glands pumped more adrenalin than my body knew what to do with it. I looked over at Kate who had slumped down in her seat to avoid seeing the speedo. I couldn't believe the traffic, or lack of really. Compared to Sydney which seems to never sleep, Bangkok is definitely snoozing of a morning. 

5:25am- stop the clock. We'd made it to the airport with the driver only just slowing down in time for a speed hump. I was in disbelief at the drive I had just experienced and the time that we arrived at the airport (after imagining being stuck in kilometre long traffic queues!). We were barely in line for 15 minutes before handing over our passports and luggage. Would you believe that our bags were 17.5kg and 17.4kg?! 

So with over an hour to kill it was time for food! I devoured a toasted sandwich as I sat and watch travelers flood into the airport. I was now beginning to feel more anxious about getting on the plane. Not being I hate flying, but because I usually hate coming home, and Bangkok had treated me like royalty.

Suvarnabhumi Airport

At 7:20am our flight began boarding. Rows fourty-one to seventy-something. Perfect. That was us. We found our seats and got comfortable and thankfully the plane was not hot and stuffy this time. However, despite our flight being due out at 8am, we didn't take off until almost 8:45am. This time there was no excitement as Kate slept beside me. 

The flight was largely uneventful with only the passenger with the window seat requesting the aisle seat due to feeling nauseous. I was happy with that as I'm a sucker for the window seat. I love the view, however, sitting right above the wing proved too glarey for most of the flight.


First course



Back over the NT desert
Prawns again!
An entire day passed in transit


Following a movie, a nap, a few walks up and down the plane, and another two impressive meals, we were starting our descent. We were lucky enough to get a lap of Sydney as we approached and had a spectacular view of the lights as well as the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. 8pm marked our arrival at the airport and I think that such an early check-in resulted in our bags taking forever to appear on the carousel. Getting through customs was a breeze and a few steps later I could see my partner and my parents waiting for me in arrivals! It was hard to believe that the trip had come to an end as I gave Kate a huge hug goodbye! It all felt surreal sitting in the car on the way home, recounting stories and sharing a few photos. 

I had finally made it overseas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment