Sunday 18 August 2013

Progress notes

I cannot believe that tomorrow marks week 4 of semester already! Time has been flying, yet passing so slowly at the same time :\ I haven't got much time to spend blogging but here is what has been happening...

I had my New Grad interview on Monday (12th Aug)! I'm not feeling 100% confident but it's over! My questions weren't too hard; I just found that I had a complete thought block and I put that down to how nervous I was :( Hopefully the panel take nerves into consideration! My questions were about: skills and role of an RN; a scenario; the multidisciplinary team; social media; CORE values; and infection control. Unfortunately now the long wait continues until early October when we get the result - offer, or no offer. I have also applied for a New Graduate Program within the private sector to increase my chances of getting something.

I'm yet to really get on top of any of my assessments - yes, partially my fault, but many thanks to factors out of my control. Last week a burst water main affected a few of the university buildings, and a result our online library was offline. That meant no access to databases, journal articles, etc. This proved frustrating on one hand because I was unable to access academic sources of information. However, on the other hand, I didn't feel guilty continuing my procrastination and even allowed myself a few sneaky wines! As of this afternoon, all systems are back in action; eeeeek, deadlines are looming! I am a little worried about having all the work done in time, especially because placement begins soon (read on!).

Lastly, placement begins soon! My four-week placement starts on August 26 and for that time I have AM shift. I'm surprisingly feeling good about placement (which is rare - I only ever associate really negative words with placements!) and am not only looking forward to consolidating my clinical skills, but also getting my head around AM shift and giving everything a good go. Up until last semester I'd never had an AM shift before. EVER! And it sucked, but that's another story. There are four of us that are renting a house in Orange and I am able to take my gym membership with me which is fantastic! My man plans on driving out to visit on the weekend too!

Besides university and work, I've been trying to keep myself sane and get back into some kind of routine! Before uni went back, I went camping for a weekend in Karuah National Park. Absolutely beautiful there and our campsite had a great view of the river. The following weekend, made it to Awaba State Forest for a 4WD which was good fun and resulted in another part of the 4WD giving in. Yay for repairs...

And last Friday, most of the Wolfpack reunited for a Thai dinner in the city! It was amazing to catch up with everyone and see what people have been up to since Thailand.



Aaaaanyway, I best be off to prepare for class tomorrow and get my bag packed. I hope to post more regularly but I'm sure you understand how hard it is. I just keep reminding myself that there is finally light at the end of the tunnel!

Cheers to a productive day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment